Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'll Never Read


Its time again for top ten Tuesday, brought to you by the Broke and the Bookish! This week I list the books I'll never read, whether for personal hatred reasons or just because I'll never be quite that bored.

Again, in no particular order.

10. War and Peace. As much as I've heard this book is a classic and whatnot, the sheer size scares me to death. And I really don't think it would be my cup of tea anyway. Let's save the frustration and eyestrain.

9. Moby Dick. I've heard that there are about a hundred pages devoted to the art of fishing, and other lobs of detail for other seafaring topics. I've never been a nautical person so I don't think I would find this interesting. It has that classic compulsion again, but again, I don't think it would be worth the headache.

8. Any more books by Rosalind Miles. I read Guenevere-Queen of the Summer Country and was expecting a strong heroine who could stand on her own and wield power in her own right. What I got was a simpering, needy wet blanket of a main character that I was thoroughly disgusted with because of her extreme weakness and need to lean on Arthur. For that reason I've been completely ruined on Miles' entire body of work.

7. Any more books in the Redwall series by Brian Jaques. This series was pretty highly acclaimed from fellow book lovers. I just couldn't get into it. Oh well.

6. Cujo by Stephen King. This book gives me the shivers just thinking about it. I don't like horror as a rule, and this one for me is a perfect example of the super scary. Must stay away.

5. Gossip Girl books. What can I say? I just don't care.

4. J.D. Robb's In Death series. Murder and romance together? I'd prefer to skip the suspense part in my romance novels. Not for me.

3. Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. The movie version of this was probably the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time. Will definitely be skipping the book in an effort to retain some brain cells.

2. Anything by John Grisham. Not into court drama, although I did see a couple movie adaptations and they were ok. But 2 hours is really all I can take-not the multiple hours needed to read the book.

1. Anna Karenina. This is more despair talking. For years I've told myself I should read this, but something always gets in the way and puts a wrench in my plans. Maybe there is still hope. But if the current trend continues, maybe not.

So there's my list. What do you think? Agree or disagree? I can't wait to read your lists!

7 comments:

B said...

Great list! War and Peace scares me too. A lot.

Red said...

Nice list! War and Peace and Moby Dick both scare me as well. I'm sure they're wonderful (as I'm constantly being told) but like you, I don't think I'll ever actually make it through them.

Daisy said...

War and Peace made my list as well, I struggled with Anna Karenina a lot. And Cujo.. that book sounds so scary and it has a dog in it right? Evil animals freak me out..

Anonymous said...

I've mentioned it to other people, but I totally forgot Russian lit. I really don't have any desire to read any of them, ha.

Nice list.

Hilde said...

War and Peace is on my list too. There are so many other things I'd rather be doing (and reading).

IngridLola said...

I loooove Anna K. Don't give up yet!

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely intimidated by War & Peace. I'm not sure I'll ever attempt that one