Thursday, January 13, 2011

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

I can see why this book is a classic, and I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. Jane is such an enduring character, and I was thoroughly engaged with her story from beginning to end. For those who haven't read it yet, the story portrays the life of Jane Eyre, a strong woman who was orphaned as an infant and left to the mercy of her Aunt, who treated her unkindly. Then she gets shipped off to an orphans school where the students starve while getting the bible stuffed down their throats. But she thrives into an independant and thoroughly level-headed woman. So she finishes school to become a private governess to the ward of the rich and not handsome Mr. Rochester. Does her wit and intelligence catch his eye? You'll have to read the book to find out. But let me say that it isn't your typical rags to riches fairy tale. It is about finding yourself and staying true to what you believe in no matter what gets thrown in your way.

I kept rooting for Jane the whole time that she would get her happy ending, because a woman with her strength of character definitely deserved to be happy. I see a lot of the person that I continually strive to be in Jane-strong but not forceful, who is always willing to stand up for those she loves and maintains a strong hold on what she believes in no matter what. Three cheers for Jane!

No comments: